WeeChat is a free and open-source IRC client designed to be light and fast. The client uses a curses frontend, and there are remote interfaces for Web, Qt, Android and Emacs.WeeChat works on most platforms and operating systems, including Linux, Mac OS X, BSD, Solaris, Windows. While Ubuntu repositories provide an old version, you can install the latest packages and receive future updates of WeeChat.
WeeChat’s features include:
- Proxy connections
- The screen can be split up to display multiple windows at the same time.
- Incremental text search
- Aspell support for spell checking
- Scripting support for many languages (Perl, Python, Ruby, Lua, Tcl, Scheme with GNU Guile)
- FIFO pipes for remote control
- Support for multiple character encodings
- User-defined aliases and shortkeys
To Install WeeChat.
1.Open terminal Ctrl+Alt+T run the following command to add WeeChat official PPA:
sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:nesthib/weechat-stable
2. After adding the PPA, run system update and after checking for updates , you can upgrade WeeChat by installing available updates:
sudo apt-get update