We recently purchase a new server playground for our Lab Test Server. In this article we will guide you how to install ESXi 6.0 Hypervisor on Asus z97-Pro and Intel Core i7-4790K.
- Processor: Intel Core i7-4790K 4Ghz, 8MB Cache, LGA1150
- Motherboard: AsusZ97 (wIFI-ac)
- HardDrive: Samsun XP941 512/gb M.2 80mm PCIe x4 SSD
- Memory: (4 ) HyperX 8GB DDR3 – 1866 CL10 240 UDIMM
1. Before installing ESXi server, first we need to check the hardware compatibility for ESXi Server with the link below.
2. Next step is to update our motherboard firmware (Asus z97) to the latest released.
Note: before updating motherboard firmware make sure your CPU was connected to UPS for security or power interruption purposes.
3. After updating motherboard firmware, next is to download VSphere Hypervisor, Create an account and login and Click “Downloads” and search for VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6
After downloading VMware vSphere Hypervisor 6, is to customize the ISO in able to work with our hardware
4. Download ESXi-Customizer (VMware Front Experience: ESXi-Customizer) with the latest version available.
5. Download the important VIB files for customization.
6. Extract the Exsi Customizer and run ESXi Customizer command script. (ESXi-Customizer.cmd )
6.2 We need to add net51-drivers drivers VIB package into VMWare 6.0 ISO under select an OEM.tgz file, a VIB file or an Offline Bundle:” click Browse Select the “net51-drivers-1.0.0-1vft.510.0.0.799733.x86_64.vib”
6.3 Under select the working directory Click “Browse” Select the destination path for the new customized ESXi ISO.In my case i created a folder New Custom ISO 6.0
7. Next step is we need to add sata-xahci drivers VIB package into VMWare 6.0 ISO, Under “Select an OEM.tgz file, a VIB file or an Offline Bundle:” click “Browse” Select the “sata-xahci-1.28-1.x86_64.vib” otherwise VMWare will not see it as an install-able drive for the m.2 SSD.
8. Under “Select the working directory (needs to be on a local NTFS-formatted drive):” Click “Browse” Select the destination path for the new customized ESXi ISO.
9. We are already done with the Hypervisor ISO customization, the next step is to mount the ISO image that we created to a USB Flash drive. I Rufus for the mounting of the ISO image.
Rufus is a utility that helps format and create bootable USB flash drives, such as USB keys/pendrives, memory sticks, etc.
9. After mounting the ISO image to USB, Install ESXi 6.0 Hypervisor and reboot
10. Upon boot up of your computer, make sure your BIOs indicates AHCI for SATA.
11. Follow the steps on how to setup the Hypervisor