Hello guys the blender foundation and online developer community released the new version of Blender.The latest version available is Blender 2.74, which has been recently released last march 31. 2-015, and lots of changes,improvements and new features added on it. In this article i will guide you to upgrade and install Blender 2.74 on Ubuntu and its derivatives.
Blender 2.74 Release Improvements:
- Cycles got several precision, noise, speed, memory improvements, new Pointiness attribute.
- Viewport has new cool compositing features, outliner now manages orphan datablocks better.
- Modeling now allows custom normals, and transferring data layers between meshes!
- Massive improvements to hair dynamics and editing tools: a big step forward with more to come…
- A new tool “Cavity Mask” was added to sculpting/painting, along with other improvements.
- Great memory consumption optimization in Freestyle NPR stroke rendering.
- Grease pencil and Game engine improvements, and more…
For more info about the changes and improvement visit the official website:
1. To install blender on ubuntu you can download the appropriate package for your platform. ( Download)
Since its already available via PPA, All you have to do is add the PPA to your system and update repository, you can simply install blender with the following command.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:thomas-schiex/blender
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install blender
2. To removed currently installed blender:
sudo apt-get remove blender